4.29.2012

On The Avengers: Commonality is Overrated

I enjoyed watching The Avengers, amidst all the hype. Sometimes movies that are too hyped up disappoint, but I'm glad this one didn't. I especially enjoyed the consistency in script from Ironman to The Avengers (I didn't get to see Hulk so I can't include that), and I also loved the humor, even in challenging scenes in the film.

My takeaway from the film is that commonality is thoroughly overrated, and The Avengers exemplifies that. They were really a bunch of unbalanced heroes who had lots of personal issues, but they did not have to be like each other--or even like each other--to work together.

It would have been a sucky film if they all had to change their costumes or become more like each other to succeed. One of my hesitations before watching the film was how the makers would bring together the vintage-ness of Captain America, the narcissism and technological advancements of Ironman, and the sentiments and other-worldliness of Thor. And The Avengers did not disappoint because the strengths of each hero were still evident in the team.

Ironman's edgy and narcissistic personality were his very own, and he didn't have to give that up to succeed. If the other heroes had to all become like Captain America, that would have been boring! Hulk's anger management issues were endearing, but not if everyone was like him. Thor's sentiments towards his brother could have made them all lose, and good thing there's only one Thor. And then of course there are the individual strengths of Black Widow and Hawkeye, and even Nick Fury.

The only things they had in common were their desire to protect the human race and to defeat Loki. And that was enough to bring them together and win.

I look at my friends in church and how we work together--not because we are like each other or even like each other all the time--but we're brought together because we love Jesus and want to make Him known. Common personalities, desires and perspectives are somehow overrated. The goal is what matters more, and that's what brings people together.

I liked the film so much that I think I want to watch it again! Did you like the film? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment