4.17.2012

Lessons from a Freelancer


Being a freelancer is fun, so I've discovered! I'm not teaching this summer, and I am focusing mainly on my writing and training projects for the next few months. Here are some of the things I've learned about freelancing:
  • Look for work. I'm strategizing how to "sell" what I do in the most simple but effective way, even if I don't particularly enjoy the business side of things. Ask people you work with how you can help or what you can do to get more jobs.
  • Be efficient in replying to calls, emails and texts. Who wants to work with someone who forgets to call you back?
  • Keep a notebook handy. When the ideas flow, write them down. 
  • Be organized. Remember clients' names, numbers and details. Write the details down in that notebook!
  • Be open. Don't just do what you've always done. As a freelancer, you will have to learn to do different things and you'll have to keep your options open. Enjoy the new experiences!
  • Get out of the house. Sometimes I love working from home (because I don't have to force myself to wake up very early or spend money for food and transpo) but sometimes you just have to get out of the house to get things done.
  • Keep the client's best interest in mind. Don't get greedy with the project cost. Otherwise you won't just lose the project--you may lose the client! Try to work within the client's budget.
  • Be in faith. As a freelancer, I've learned to trust God more for my finances since I don't always have a check coming on the 15th and the 30th. 
  • Grow thyself. Research, learn, absorb, ask questions . . .
  • Follow deadlines and make personal, internal, early deadlines so you're never late for a meeting or for submitting a document. Never over-promise and under-deliver.
  • Work hard and play hard! Keep the Sabbath holy. Rest and get enough sleep every day. 
  • Use your talents to draw people to God. Work is not just a job--it's always an avenue to help others know Him. 
  • Pray! God grants favor to His children, and I've seen so many instances in the last few months where I didn't do anything to get a project or make new contacts. God even works out the timing for my projects so I'm not overloaded with them at any given time. 
If you told me a few years ago that I would be a freelance writer, trainer and teacher, I would have laughed at you or gotten really nervous about the money . . . But God gave me the grace to obey when He called me to walk out of the boat, and I'm so glad I did! :-)


But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. - Matthew 14:27-29

No comments:

Post a Comment