4.10.2012

Not about me . . .

Many people wonder why I've served in the youth ministry for the last eleven years since college graduation. Personally, I love meeting and growing with young people so much that it's really been a no-brainer for me. Leading, teaching, volunteering, hanging out, challenging, correcting, empowering . . . These are some of the things I love to do with the girls in my small group.

But even with the passion for the youth and a heart to see them grow, because of all the transitions I've been through in the last few years, I've sometimes wondered if what I do makes a difference.

Today I was reminded of how it's not about me. Paul said one plants, another waters, but God causes the growth. I may have done One 2 One with someone many years ago, I may have played a part in someone's spiritual growth, I may be available to challenge a person to grow in God, but it's still not about me. God brings the growth. We have to be faithful to plant or water, to do what we can at any particular time, and we also have to build foundations correctly, not on ourselves or the church, but on the foundation of Jesus Christ alone.

I don't see myself graduating from youth ministry yet--for as long as God wants me to plant and water here, I will. I love how life has greater meaning when we pour into others, rather than just looking into our own lives. Because remember, it's not about me, and it's not about you either . . . !
"I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.  By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." - 1 Corinthians 3:6-11 

No comments:

Post a Comment