6.04.2011

Believing in Young People

I was 14 when I became a Christian, and served God as a high school and college student. I was involved in church, campus orgs, and everything regular students do. After graduation, I continued to be involved in youth ministry by leading a small group and helping young women know God and walk with Him every day. We've navigated through personal, family, financial, and spiritual concerns and together we've looked to and held on to God's promises in His Word. I've seen many of these young women graduate from high school and even college.

Even with all the changes in my own life in the last few years, though, I always keep going back to serving in the youth ministry, whether I am in Nashville or Manila, Ortigas or Fort Bonifacio, Ateneo or La Salle. I guess it's because people believed in my generation so many years ago, invested in our lives, and helped us grow. I can't help but believe in young people as well, knowing that God has a plan for them and also knowing that the enemy will try to not let that come to pass.

After attending the Ignite conference last week, my passion to see young people serving God is now even stronger. As a small group leader, a university-level teacher, and as someone who got saved as a teenager, I know that God has a great purpose for each young person, and I want to do my part in serving the next generation.

Towards the end of the Ignite conference, Joe Bonifacio reminded the students that they will not always be "the next generation," and that it will be important to pass the baton to those who will come after. I remember when I was the youngest in our small group, the youngest in the ushering ministry, the youngest in so many things. Time does fly and it's really not about how good our generation has been, but whether we have been able to train those who have come after us. And by God's grace, each generation will go from glory to glory, and will do mighty exploits, more than what the previous generation was able to do. 

And yes, even if the young people add "po" in their sentences when they talk to me now, as a sign of respect because I'm older than them, I will not let my age deter me from mentoring, coaching, training, and believing in them. Young people need people they can talk to, exchange ideas with, and people who will just be there for them and point them in the right direction. And for those who are willing, God will help us see the fruit of our labor and the return of our investments, whether that's weekly prioritizing meeting with them, taking time to talk even when it's convenient, and keeping up with their energy level even though you don't have as much left in you.

I believe God is truly raising a new generation of those whose hearts are sold out to Him, and I count it a privilege to be part of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment