6.05.2011

Feeling Inadequate?

Do you ever get so nervous with this sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you have to face something daunting? Like getting up to speak in front of many people, finding the courage to apologize for what you did, or entering a new environment where you don't know anyone?

For the past few days, I have been feeling inadequate. As I work on my thesis proposal and try to finish my Master's degree, as I think of the classes I will be teaching this coming semester, as I volunteer in new areas of ministry, as I do things I haven't ever done, as I ask God to work in me in new and greater ways, I admit I feel inadequate. But I don't think that's a bad place to start.

Feeling inadequate can be pretty normal, I think. I'm sure even presidents and CEOs feel this, wondering why they were chosen to lead or how this ship is going to turn. I believe it's what you do once you realize you can't do this on your own that really matters. Here's what I have found myself doing when I feel inadequate:

Pray! Admit to God that you really can't do it without Him. And ask for His grace, strength, mercy, and wisdom. Remind yourself that this is really not about you.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9,10

Ask people to help you and pray with you. When I didn't think I had the strength, energy, or motivation to work on the second draft of my thesis proposal last Saturday, I asked my mom to pray for me. I told her what I felt, and she encouraged me and made me tea. That always helps! Then there are times when you just need to admit your weakness or something that can get you off-track, "call a friend" and let them know what you are really going through. Humble yourself and ask for help.

One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

Make the hard choices. Watch a movie or do your thesis proposal? Sleep or prepare for your next big project? Watch TV or write? Facebook or spend time with your family? You know what you need to do, so make the hard choices and go for what is wise. Besides, if you don't choose what's right and hard and wise, you may just look back years from now and see that you are still where you started off. And that's just sad.


The feeling of inadequacy may not completely go away but by the grace of God, you will move forward and do what you need to do. Feelings are just feelings anyway!


My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment