6.17.2011

Fathers Make All the Difference

Papa has made such a difference in my life. His concern for each child is consistent. He still texts me if he knows it's late at night and I'm still not home. He works hard and does his very, very best to provide for us.
My family (1981). My brothers look like they want to get into a fight.

Growing up, he prioritized taking us on family vacations to Baguio, and he has taken us kids on individual trips. We would go up to Baguio with our snacks of boiled eggs and bread, tea in the thermos, because there were no Select stores or restaurants on NLEX yet. We would stay at Park Hotel and he would watch us play in Burnham Park from the hotel balcony. We would have corn soup in the Chinese restaurant at night, and sleep on the softest pillows I can remember. He would tell us that we would remember these memories and fun times together, and he's right. 

One of my favorite times with Papa was our trip to the US in 1995. I was 15, and it was my first time to go to New York, Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, and LA. He planned everything out, from the Broadway play to Christmas in Disneyland. He even let me persuade him into renting a limo for us in New York, after we watched Phantom, only for me to fall asleep in the limo!

In 1997, we went to India and he took me around Bombay (Mumbai), showing me where he went to school, where they used to live, where he learned to smoke (yikes!), and where he would go when he cut classes.

Nashville with Papa (2011). Lots of LOVE at the Loveless Cafe.
When I was in college, we would celebrate every "A" with a treat. When I was in Nashville, he would always call and check on me. He came to visit me and we had a good time in New York too. Through many, many ups and downs in our family, I've always appreciated the stability he brings in my life. As much as I appreciate my mom, brothers, the rest of our family, my friends, and my mentors, there are times when the only person I really want to talk to is my dad, and then I know I'll be fine. He's almost like my Jethro--he knows what to say, he brings a different perspective into the situation, and he challenges me to do the hard things.

Because he spends time with me and expresses his love often, I know I'm secure and therefore have high standards for myself and of the person I want to marry.

Because of how he protects and cares, I know I don't have to look for it outside the family.

And because of God's faithfulness in our lives, I know the best is yet to come.

Happy Father's Day, Pa! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment