5.03.2011

Social Media Etiquette

Whether we like it or not, Facebook, Twitter and all kinds of social media are changing the way we interact. Some in good ways, some in...well, deteriorating ways. Here are some of my thoughts on social media etiquette:
  • Not everything in my life is worthy of a status update or tweet. I try to weigh whether I should post something or not. If it's too personal, emotional or upsetting, I just don't. 
  • When you're upset, please don't vent online. Figure things out offline. Use social media to make friends, not lose them...
  • It's ok to unfriend or unfollow people if you don't like what people say. 
  • Online contact is not a substitute for real life. I can't replace authentic relationships with those online, even though I appreciate staying connected with friends and family from all over. 
  • If you're not my friend in real life, please don't assume we're friends online, even though I accepted you as a "friend"--some seem more like stalkers! Others may be ok with getting to know strangers online, but sorry, I'm not one of them. 
  • Comment wisely. Especially now that you can comment on Facebook by clicking enter, be careful what you say! 
  • Tag carefully. I've unfriended several people because they unnecessarily tag or overdo their business advertising. 
  • You can choose what information is visible on your Facebook wall. I've chosen to not show whose wall, pictures, or statuses I've commented on, or to show who I've just become friends with. I don't think y'all need to know that! 
  • You're your own brand. What you say, how you say it and what you post are a reflection of you, visible to the worldwide web. Try to make a good impression and use social media well, please? 
Note: These are my personal opinions, and I am not trying to respond to someone's recent post, blog or tweet...!

3 comments:

  1. y'all ha :) nakanaman :) haha :) varsh, this blog is so you :) and i love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha thanks claire! yeah, i need a little bit of the South in me . . . after having lived there for a while. thanks for reading it. hope all is well with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree! thanks for the 8th one. didn't know that. teach me? :)

    ReplyDelete