3.13.2012

Communication Skills

Sometimes we think that basic communication skills apply to kids only--listening, speaking, reading and writing. But these basic skills actually become the foundation for life-long learning. Developing in one is connected to developing in the other, and we can't choose one over the other.

I was talking with a friend today and he was asking how he could become a better speaker. Part of my response was to develop the three other communication skills as well, placing special emphasis on listening. A good speaker has to listen to what is being said--and sometimes to what is not being said. In the same way, writing is developed through reading and good writers should be good readers.

Skills are learned, so don't worry if you feel intimidated by the idea of communicating well. Sometimes the only hindrance to this development is ourselves--if you're ready to learn and how much time and effort you're willing to devote to the task. But don't forget--you can improve and you don't need the world's most expensive materials to do so.

1 comment:

  1. So true! The learning and developing has to continue in every stage of life.

    I feel like it's more difficult to express myself now than when I was younger and I really think it's because I read less!

    ReplyDelete