4.11.2010

Too many options or happy with what I have?


I went to Whole Foods yesterday, and once again, I was amazed with the hundreds of types of cheeses available in one store. I really wanted to buy two kinds of cheese, and just see what I like, buy more next time, etc.

I am still surprised with the variety of products available in America--in the malls, groceries, bookstores . . . And I am wary of falling into the consumerist/materialist trap. I have seen poverty in the Philippines and India to know that many of the things in America that are taken for granted, including cheese, are a luxury, no matter how many options there are here and no matter how much we think we "deserve our luxuries".

I came home completely satisfied with and excited to try my choices: a small slice of manchego cheese from Spain and a package of goat cheese. I love cheese and as I was having parts of both for breakfast just now, I reminded myself not to pine for the 400+ options in the store, but to be happy with what I have, to be grateful for God's provision so I can enjoy these yummy slices of bliss.

May I too be like Paul and learn "to be content whatever the circumstances (Philippians 4:11." May I not get caught up with everything out there, everything I think I want, but may I be grateful for what I do have. And now I am not just talking about cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment