4.06.2010

The Book, but it's not just Eli's

I just got back from watching "The Book of Eli." It's been a while since I have enjoyed watching a movie like I did today. If you haven't watched it, you should. (Plus I only paid $1.50 to watch it--cheaper than Manila--so that was fun too!)

I don't know if the movie was made by a Christian, but I saw some great principles in it. Here are a few reasons why I loved it so much (I may have some spoilers below, so beware):

1. In the "old times", Eli said people had too much. The "old times" is "our time", and yes we do have too much. Seeing what life could be and what we don't want it to be could help us evaluate what we do and how much we think we need, we want, and we should have. After all, godliness with contentment is great gain.

2. Eli read the Word "without fail." If only we would do that too. And no I can not imagine memorizing the King James Version, from Genesis to Revelation!

3. Eli said he heard a voice, he knows what he heard and he knows what he hears. He was sure. And when you're sure, you just do what you should. Not to be oversimplistic, but that's just foundational. Besides, faith means "you know even when you don't." Even as Eli was explaining it, you know he couldn't explain it well--but he did believe it and bet his life on it. And he journeyed through it all because of the voice he heard.

4. I can't imagine what it would be like to have just one Bible left. We have so many Bibles everywhere, and yes there's another example of how we have too much. But what good is it to have the Word and not read it, speak it, live it, treasure it?

I pray that we would be people of the Word. That it would be our Book, sinking into our hearts and changing our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment