12.11.2010

10 Things I Miss about the Christmas Season in Manila

Christmas 2007 - the boys with Danae
10. Not being the only one to start decorating, shopping, and playing Christmas music early -- I am so used to finishing all the preparations before December 1 (because of #3). And singing Pinoy Christmas songs!

9. Wearing whatever I want to the parties, and not having to layer my outfits or think about the cool and freezing weather.

8. 13th month pay. Every time I tell my friends here about that law, it makes them consider moving to the Philippines!

Thammie, Claire, Pinky, Iya, Phoebe, Macy, Jolina, Jan and I
7. Shopping in Divisoria and under the Quiapo Bridge. I love getting the Christmas wrappers, cards, and gifts by September or October and beating the Christmas rush. Macy and I have our first drafts of Christmas lists by August!

6. Annual get-togethers with college friends. When we don't have the time before Christmas, we meet before New Year's or at Bang's birthday party. It's cool to see how this group grows with boyfriends, girlfriends and now spouses too. Fats and Joanne, are you gonna have babies by Christmas 2011? :-)

Not-so-small group party, 2008
5. Post-Christmas leftover lunch at the Mumars. We hang, play games, talk about how we spent Christmas day with our families. One time we even went outside to play patintero!

With my first inaanak, Alexa
4. Sambang Gabi and the annual breakfast in Tagaytay after. Sambang Gabi is our church's version of a special dawn service a few days before Christmas. After the service, we have hot chocolate, puto  bumbong, bibingka. Then we head over for the real breakfast in Tagaytay, which is 2 hours away from Manila and has an amazing view of Taal Volcano.

3. All the parties, especially the Every Nation staff party, with LA, Robert or Dennis hosting and all the fun games. I also really miss our Balimbing party (don't know what else to call it) at the Punzalan home, our small group party with Miz Judy, my small group party with the girls, and our youth Christmas party. I am sure everyone in Manila has a full schedule for the rest of the season, and I certainly miss it!

With my inaanak, Lorenzo
2. Giving gifts to my inaanaks (godchildren), friends, and family that I haven't seen in two Christmases! I miss seeing Danae, Bella, Arkin, Ereka, Lorenzo, Alexa and of course, my niece Angela. Aside from the parties, there's always impromptu get-togethers and coffee with Pinky, Macy, Jan, Charis, Iya, Chryso, Voica and so many others!

1. Spending Christmas with Mama, Papa, Bhaya, Melody and Angela. When we were kids, our parents used to take us to Star City, or even Payanig sa Pasig (where Metro Walk is). We would drive around looking at the lights, enjoying the cool air, and think of different things to do every year. I have great memories of simple and fun Christmases and I surely miss it and am thankful for it.

With my niece and inaanak, Angela
For my Pinoy friends in America, what do you miss about Christmas in Manila? And for my friends in Manila, how's your Christmas celebration so far? 

No matter where you are or how you are celebrating this year, I hope you have a very merry and memorable Christmas and a fabulous new year!

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment